What a better appetizer for game day than some chicken wings with a cranberry BBQ sauce?! This simple and delicious snack is one that you can toss in the oven and forget them for nearly an hour. Keep them hot in a warm oven until you are ready to serve them. Paired with a creamy blue cheese dipping sauce, this unique twist on typical chicken wings will keep your guests talking long after the party.
- 5 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, 45–50 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss wings with the cranberry BBQ sauce and bake for an additional 6 minutes. Broil for 2 minutes, making sure to keep an eye on the wings to prevent burning. Serve hot with blue cheese dipping sauce.
For Cranberry BBQ Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoons hot paprika or cayenne
Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and sauté until golden. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until thickened. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Note: this recipe only calls for a small amount of adobo sauce, but if you like more heat, mince up one chipotle pepper and add it to the sauce before simmering.
For Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I insist on Helman’s)
- 8oz. crumbled blue cheese (Stilton if you can)
- 3 tablespoons plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk or heavy cream